What is adrenal fatigue?
Adrenal fatigue is a term used in functional medicine that describes a collection of signs and symptoms that include fatigue, body aches and digestive problems.
What are the symptoms of adrenal fatigue?
Some common symptoms of adrenal fatigue include the following:
- Body aches
- Digestive problems often leading to weight loss
- Sleep disturbances
- Low blood pressure
- Low sex drive
- Cravings for sweet or salty snacks
What causes adrenal fatigue?
When experiencing chronic bouts of prolonged stress, the adrenal glands will continue to make cortisol at the expense of the other hormones (estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone). This can lead to adrenal fatigue.
How can adrenal fatigue be treated?
At Omaha Health Clinic, we can create a treatment plan to best address your specific condition. It may involve the following:
- A saliva test to help diagnose your adrenal stress index
- Cortisol samples to evaluate your body's response to stress
- A nutritional plan involving vitamins, minerals and herbs to help build up your body's energy
- A customized plan to rebuild your adrenal glands and protect them from daily stressors